I made another pot of stock – yes again. It’s soup weather!
Time for some Bean Soup.
- One of those 15 bean & barley soup bags from your local store (I used the Trader Joe’s version).
- One medium onion, chopped
- Two carrots, chopped
- A few celery stocks, chopped
- Three cloves of roasted garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups of diced tomatoes (or a can of tomatoes)
- Herbs (I used thyme and parsley)
- 6-8 cups of stock (depending on how much broth you like)
- 1/2 cup of sherry (optional)
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Soak beans overnight, 8-10 hours (I actually soaked them during the day so I could cook the soup overnight in the slow cooker)
Sauté onion 5-7 minutes, add carrots and celery and sauté 5 minutes more. Add in garlic, red bell pepper & tomatoes and cook for another 5 min. or so. Dump beans, cooked veggies, stock and herbs in your slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
The following morning, add in the pinch of red pepper flakes, the sherry and season with salt and pepper. Cook for an additional hour in the slower cooker and then serve. It’s delish.
Oh and serve all scraps to the organic garbage disposals.