Hey Little Birdies…
Come to Mama!
Thirteen Birdies I watched from my window this week
- Golden Eagle
- California Gull
- Ring-billed Gull
- Red-tailed Hawk
- House Finch
- American Robin
- Barn Owl – We have a ton of these! Babies coming soon
- Rock Pigeon
- Anna’s Hummingbird
- White-crowned Sparrow
And this! It came by last night and stole bird seed from my feeder!
Essential vocabulary additions for the workplace (and elsewhere)!!! William’s Mum will love this one
1. BLAMESTORMING: Sitting around in a group, discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed, and who was responsible.
2. SEAGULL MANAGER: A manager, who flies in, makes a lot of noise, craps on everything, and then leaves.
3. ASSMOSIS: The process by which some people seem to absorb success and advancement by kissing up to the boss rather than working hard.
4. SALMON DAY: The experience of spending an entire day swimming upstream only to get shafted and die in the end.
5. CUBE FARM: An office filled with cubicles.
6. PRAIRIE DOGGING: When someone yells or drops something loudly in a cube farm, and people’s heads pop up over the walls to see what’s going on.
7. STRESS PUPPY: A person who seems to thrive on being stressed out and whiny.
8. SWIPEOUT: An ATM or credit card that has been rendered useless because magnetic strip is worn away from extensive use.
9. XEROX SUBSIDY: Euphemism for swiping free photocopies from one’s workplace.
10. PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The fine art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
11. ADMINISPHERE: The rarefied organizational layers beginning just above the rank and file. Decisions that fall from the adminisphere are often profoundly inappropriate or irrelevant to the problems they were designed to solve.
12. 404: Someone who’s clueless. From the World Wide Web error Message “404 Not Found,” meaning that the requested site could not be located.
13. GENERICA: Features of the American landscape that are exactly the same no matter where one is, such as fast food joints, strip malls, and subdivisions.
Bonus 14. CROP DUSTING: Surreptitiously passing gas while passing through a Cube Farm.